Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Bread

This weekend was a very rainy one here in MA and I needed to keep myself busy doing something so I thought why not make more muffins. You see muffin take the same amount of energy as bread to make but seem to be more fun to eat, and look so much better under the dome on my counter. And since Friday I spent the day at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods shopping for ingredients for the week of cooking, I found Lemons on sale and Blueberries not too expensive this seemed to be the opportunity to try this recipe.

This recipe came from an unlikely place. For all you out there who like Vera_Bradley purses, bags, and cute stuff, the latest catalog of seasonal items and new patterns came in the other day and for the first time there was a recipe ... this one.

Lemon Blueberry Bread

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp lemon zest (zest from one small lemon)
1 cup blueberries
2 tsp flour (toss w/blueberries)

LEMON GLAZE
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons juice)

Combine the sugar and the lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat over med-low heat until sugar is dissolved. Stirring frequently.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly grease a loaf pan (but when I made them I made muffins). Combine four, baking powder, and salt in a bowl (since I did not have any unsalted butter I omitted the salt). In another bowl cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beat well after each addition. It is very important that you begin and end with the flour. Fold in the Lemon zest and the Blueberries (that have been tossed with flour). Pour into the loaf pan, or in my case the muffin pan. Bake in the oven 55-60 min, or for muffins 30-35 min.

When muffins or bread come out of oven pierce the top with a fork or a knife. Pour the Lemon Glaze over the top, and pour slowly so the juice gets absorbed in the bread/muffin.

Cool in the pan first for 30 min or longer before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.

They are very light, fluffy, and full of juicy flavor between the lemon and the blueberry.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! You have a dome in which you keep delicious muffins? I'm so jealous.

    It's been many years since I've made blueberry-lemon muffins. I think I'll have to make them again after seeing your recipe.

    I get recipes from the oddest places too!

    ReplyDelete