Monday, November 9, 2009

Beef Sroganoff

Another GREAT small appliance I use a lot in my kitchen is my Crock-pot. When we first received the Crock-pot, I thought ... What in the world am i going to do with this? So I began to surf the Internet for something good to cook ... and low and behold I found so many yummy and easy meals. And the best part is ... start it before you leave for work and when you get home 8 hours later the smell in your house is so welcoming all you want to do is eat, and you CAN because dinner is ready.
Beef Strganoff has been a meal that i have been wanting to make for a few years now. But the only problem I have is my husband is Lactose Intolerant ... and since sour cream is in every beef stroganoff recipe out there that I looked at ... what was I going to do??? Well, I decided to make it anyway and omit the sour cream, my husband (my biggest critic) loved it and did not miss the sour cream one bit.

Here is what I did...


Lactose Free Beef Stroganoff

1 medium onion
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp sugar
1-1 1/4lbs sirloin tips (cut into chunks)
5-6 medium button mushrooms sliced (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup frozen pearl onions
2 cloves of minced garlic
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup flour
can of beef broth
can of cream of mushroom soup
1 tbsp corn starch

6 cups (or more) of cooked egg noodles/no yolks
(cook according to package)

Start by cutting up the onion to caramelize.

Cook over medium heat in 3 tbsp of butter for 5 minutes stirring occasionally, in a covered sauce pan. Add 2 tbsp of sugar to the onions, stir and cover and let cook for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Then set aside the onions.

Cut up meat into cubes add dry seasonings to it (salt n pepper and if you have a favorite meat seasoning don't be afraid to add a little it will make this dish taste more like it came form your kitchen and not my kitchen). Brown meat in a skillet of garlic and olive oil.

Set Crock-pot to low (to cook for 8 hours or high to cook for 4 hours). Layer from bottom to top the pearl onions, beef, caramelized onions and mushrooms.


Whisk together the flour, beef broth and soup mix till four is completely combined. Add this to the Crock-pot and cover for 4 or 8 hours respectively.

Just before serving add 1 tbsp of corn starch to mix to thicken.
Serve on a bed of Egg noodles.













1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you were able to make a yummy beef stroganoff without sour cream! It's difficult cooking for someone with certain dietary restrictions. I did a Peach-Strawberry pie that was low-sugar (for my dad) and seedless (for my mom). It worked out well.

    Gotta love the crockpot!

    ReplyDelete