Monday, February 8, 2010

Oatmeal Raspberry-Jam Bars

When I met my husband I learned from Day I that he was not a sweet eater nor did he like chocolate, and when he eats chocolate he gets ill. Whenever we look for a dessert I need to find something without chocolate in it, so we can both eat it. This also holds true for when i am making something at home, needs to have NO CHOCOLATE in it or he will not eat any of it.
On my quest to find a dessert that he would like I came across this recipe and thought it is sweet from the berries but not too sweet. But I took the recipe and tucked it away and forgot all about it for almost 5 years. The other day I was looking for something and came across this and knew it was time to make these.
This is what I did ...
Oatmeal Raspberry Jam Bars
1 3/4 cups
flour
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon backing soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups quick oats
2 teaspoons lemon zest (i.e. zest from one lemon)
1 cup raspberry jam
1 small package of fresh raspberries
pinch ground nutmeg
pinch ground clove
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven 350 degrees
Mix four, sugar, salt, baking soda, and butter in a bowl or food processor and pulse several times until the ingredients are combined and crumbly and a dough is starting to be formed. Ass the oats and lemon zest. Pulse quickly two tomes to combine.
Press 2/3 of the dough firmly into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Spread the jam evenly over the crust and even distribute the berries over the jam. Sprinkle the nutmeg, clove and cinnamon over the berries. Sprinkle the remaining dough over the jam, gently pressing down.
Bake until golden brown, approximately 40-45 minutes.
Cool completely, about 3 hours, cut into bars, store in an airtight container.

YUM!!!

These were such a success and so yummy. Perfect for with tea or a mid morning snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment