Thursday, February 11, 2010

Fish Tacos

When I met my husband I knew he spent some time living on the west coast. If you have been to the west coast either on business, pleasure or just moved there for a time understands that there are foodies you can get there that are very hard to find here on the east coast. One reason for that is the Mexican influence and migration to the US for better opportunities than their country. And with them comes their culture and cooking, which when you live next door to one .... the cooking really changes you. This is what happened to my husband ... his next door neighbor in CA was Mexican and would invite him over to dinner for true Mexican cuisine.
One thing my husband fell in love with was Fish Tacos. I personally had never heard of them ... other than the trips to CA, where they are about as common as a hamburger is here. This was going to be a challenge to find a good recipe to make for my husband, one that brought back the memories of CA.
Ironically, one day while my husband was reading the newspaper he found a recipe and cut it out so one day we could make it. The article was written by the chef at Game On! Boston ... (so the next time you are at Fenway Park for a game ... check them out). This is one of the only meals that my husband helps me with ... I usually do not like too much help in the kitchen but this is one he is good at since he loves fish tacos so much.

Fish Tacos

1 1/2 lb. skinless, boneless haddock
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour (we used rice flour)
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil

taco shells or soft taco shells
shredded lettuce
salsa
sliced green scallions
shredded Mexican cheese

Prepare three dishes, one with 1/2 cup flour seasoned with salt n pepper, one with well-mixed eggs and milk, and one with 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup corn meal.
Preheat vegetable oil to 350 degrees in a large skillet. Cut the haddock into long 1/2 inch thick strips. Dip into flour mix, egg wash, then cornmeal mix. Pan fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
Make tacos like you would a chicken or beef one but use the fish as your "meat."

YUM!!!



This is also the start of my Gluten Free cooking. My husband may have Celiac Disease and this is the only way to combat the illness. I will not sacrifice taste but adjust the way I cook so my husband can still enjoy all the yummy flavors of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment