Sunday, December 20, 2009

Auntie Barb's Chop Suey

Last week my husband and I spent the week visiting family in FL ... and as it turned out every night a different member of the family would make dinner for us. It was so nice to be all the Aunts and Uncles and eat what they eat. Which brings me to my next entry ... Chop Suey. Now I know what you are thinking, meat and elbow macaroni, this is NOT that.

Auntie Barb's Chop Suey

1 lb. ground beef (can also use ground veal, pork and sausage)
1 bunch of celery
1 lg chopped onion
1 can water chestnuts
1 lg can of bean sprouts
1 can of beef broth
low sodium soy sauce to taste (can also use tamari sauce)

Start by browning the meat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt n pepper in a large stock pot. Add the chopped onion. When all cooked add the water chestnuts, bean sprouts and broth. When mixed together add soy sauce to taste.

This can be served two different ways (1) on buttered hamburger rolls or (2) over chow mien crunchy noodles (this is the way I like it)

The reason this was one of the dishes made while we were visiting is because the Aunts are all on Weight Watchers now and found that this meal is a mere 5 points. The Aunts in FL all have a goal that by Spring Break they want to be svelte and partying like rock stars. In my opinion as long as they are all happy and enjoying themselves that in itself will be a good goal to have.
PS ... by the time I decided to add this to my blog we had eaten so much of it, this is what was left over in the pot. Give this dish a try it is so yummy and very happy Auntie Barb was able to share her recipe with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment